Bite-sized potatoes are stuffed with cheddar cheese and baked till crispy, then topped with a vibrant array of toppings in this healthier spin on a party classic.
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 3–4 ounces Smoky-BBQ Shredded Beets
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, toss together halved potatoes, oil, salt and pepper. Transfer potatoes to a large, rimmed baking sheet, cut-side down. Place in preheated oven and let roast for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife and the cut sides have browned. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Using a small spoon (or grapefruit spoon if you have one), gently hollow out the cut side of each potato half, making sure to leave about 1/4 inch perimeter around the skin edges and bottoms. Place potatoes back on the baking sheet, skin side down. Sprinkle shredded cheese inside each hollowed out potato.
- Broil the filled potatoes until the cheese melts and turns bubbly and golden, about 3-5 minutes.
- Place potato skins on a serving platter. Garnish each potato skin with a dollop of yogurt, some shredded beets, chopped green onion and cilantro. Enjoy!
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli
Don’t throw out the bits of potato that you scoop out – pop them in the refrigerator and make a small batch of mashed potatoes tomorrow!