Do you like tea with your cookies? How about tea IN your cookies? Freshly toasted spices are ground and incorporated in and around these soft, fragrant cookies, giving Indian flair to a dessert classic.
Chai Spice Mix:
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons loose black tea leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Place cardamom pods, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and star anise in a small, dry skillet. Place over medium heat and toast, shaking or stirring occasionally, until the spices are fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Place toasted spices in a bowl until cool.
- Once cool, place the toasted spices, tea leaves, and ground ginger into a spice grinder and grind until finely ground.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the ground chai spice mix, eggs, and vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining chai spice mix and 1/4 cup sugar. Scoop dough with a #50 scoop (about a heaping tablespoonful), roll into balls, and roll each ball in the sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on un-greased baking sheets.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven until set but not hard, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies onto cooling racks as soon as they come out of the oven.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 127
- Sugar: 9.8 g
- Sodium: 56.5 mg
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 1.4 g
- Cholesterol: 17.1 mg
Keywords: snickerdoodle cookies, snickerdoodle cookie recipe, chai spice cookies