Get the game plan for a complete Persian comfort food meal in just 20 minutes! Complete with video and step by step tips for timing your meal.
- 1 pound ground lamb, beef, or vegan ground
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes (or several larger tomatoes, cut into wedges)
- 2 small or medium yellow onions, cut into 1-inch thick wedges
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Ground sumac (optional, but encouraged!)
- Preheat broiler to high heat. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with oil or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add ground meat, egg, parsley, dried onion, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Mix together gently with hands to distribute the seasonings, being careful not to over-mix.
- Divide mixture into eighths and pat each into an oblong disc, about 1/2-inch thick. Place patties on prepared sheet pan, leaving space in between.
- Add tomatoes and onions to the open space around the meat patties and drizzle with olive oil. Season everything on the sheet pan with salt and pepper.
- Transfer sheet pan to the oven and broil for 8 minutes. Flip the meat patties over and broil for another 5 minutes.
- Serve in pita bread as sandwiches with feta cheese and cucumbers or alongside cooked basmati rice with mast-o-khiar if desired. Sprinkle everything with ground sumac for even more Persian flavor!
- To keep this meal vegan, use your favorite vegan ground meat substitute (we like Beyond Meat) and omit the egg. Add a splash of water if the mixture feels dry.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 295
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 545.6 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.6 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 35.1 g
- Cholesterol: 156.9 mg
Keywords: sheet pan, kebab, quick & easy