Whether you call them birthday cake, confetti, or funfetti pancakes, this fluffy, sprinkle-studded breakfast recipe is irresistible!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for the griddle
- 2 cups buttermilk (shaken before measuring)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles, plus more for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat griddle over medium heat (or 375°F).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Melt butter in a small, microwave-safe bowl. (You can also do this in a small saucepan on the stovetop if desired.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir together until no dry pockets of flour remain. The batter will be lumpy but that's OK - you don’t want to overmix! Gently fold in the sprinkles.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter onto the hot griddle, spreading it around with a spatula. Use a 1/4-cup measure to scoop out equal portions of batter onto the preheated griddle, being sure to leave a few inches of space around each pancake.
- Cook until bubbles appear across the entire surface and then pop, then flip to cook the second side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve, sprinkling pancakes with extra sprinkles if desired. Enjoy with your favorite pancake toppings, such as butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar, or whipped cream.
See my post above for tips on measuring flour and an important note about baking powder. I also have info for storing, reheating, and freezing your pancakes, and more!
Keywords: kid-friendly recipes, rainbow recipes, funfetti