A versatile, impressive fall dessert that’s easily scalable to make as little or as much as you want!
- 2 medium sized apples (13 ounces), preferably Granny Smith
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- pinch of spices, totaling about 1/4 tsp
- squeeze of lemon juice or splash of pure vanilla extract (about 1/2 tsp)
For the topping: (makes enough for 2, use 7 ounces per pan)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Peel, core and chop the apples and place into a quart sized zip top freezer bag. Add spices and lemon or vanilla into the bag. Seal the bag and gently shake to evenly coat all of the pieces. Set aside while you make the topping.
- To make the topping, place all ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until ingredients are blended with some large clumps beginning to form.
- Place the pan on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. This makes it easier to pull in and out of the oven and will catch any juices that bubble over while baking. Pour the seasoned apples into the pan and cover evenly with the topping. Bake 30-40 minutes until the topping is golden and juices are bubbling.
- Remove pans to a cooling rack and cool. Serve warm with ice cream.
Recipe by Sherry Blockinger of sherry b dessert studio