Crunchy granola is the perfect topping for these apple and Greek yogurt infused baked donuts!
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt (I used Stonyfield)
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated (1/3 cup lightly packed)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- For Donuts: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a donut pan and set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside for at least 5 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger until combined. In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, grated apple, melted butter, vanilla and milk/vinegar mixture until well combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, being careful not to overmix. The dough will be very thick.
- Place dough in a pastry bag or gallon sized zip top bag (if using disposable, snip off the corner of the bag after filling to open it up for piping). Pipe this mixture into prepared donut pan, filling each donut mold about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes in the pan before carefully removing the donuts to a wire rack to cool completely. Wipe out the pan and re-grease to finish using the rest of the dough.
- For Topping: Once the donuts have cooled, place softened butter, powdered sugar, milk, maple syrup and vanilla in a small, wide bowl. Using a whisk or fork, mix together until well combined and thick. If it’s too thick, add a little more milk. If it’s too thin, add some more powdered sugar. Once smooth, take each donut and invert it into the frosting. Place the donut back on the wire rack, frosting side up and sprinkle with granola. Repeat with remaining donuts. Enjoy!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 28.2 g
- Sodium: 76.7 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 45.6 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 3.6 g
- Cholesterol: 13 mg
Keywords: breakfast donuts, baked donuts, easy dessert, pumpkin granola