Rich, dark chocolate gets a chipotle-induced kick in this sweet-and-spicy, peanut-crusted dessert.
- For Torte:
- 3/4 pound bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup honey roasted peanuts, finely chopped (plus additional for garnish, if desired)
- For Topping:
- 8 ounces mascarpone, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from can of chipotle in adobo)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cut a circle of parchment paper to line the bottom of a springform pan. Grease the bottom and sides of the pan, then insert the parchment and grease it also. Wrap the outside of the pan with a double layer of aluminum foil to make it watertight.
- Heat the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over gently simmering water, whisking constantly once it starts to melt. Whisk until smooth, then remove from heat and whisk in the peanut butter and chipotle.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs till they are light and have increased in volume (should take about 2-3 minutes).
- Carefully fold the eggs into the chocolate mix in three batches until no streaks of egg are visible. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Pour about one inch of warm water into a larger baking pan and set the springform in it. Place the pans in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set the torte on a cooling rack. Sprinkle the minced peanuts on the top of the torte, pressing very gently so they will adhere. When the torte has cooled, cover and chill at least four hours, up to overnight.
- To un-mold, dip a knife into warm water, dry it, and run it around the inner edge of the springform. Remove the side of the pan, then hold a large plate over the top of the cake and turn it out over carefully. Remove the plate and parchment paper. The peanuts will now be the crust.
- To make Honey Chipotle Cinnamon Mascarpone, in a medium bowl using an electric mixer or whisk, mix together softened mascarpone, honey, adobo sauce, cinnamon and salt.
- To serve, slice torte into 8 wedges. Dust each slice with powdered sugar and top with a big dollop of mascarpone. Sprinkle on a few additional chopped peanuts, if desired.