This paleo Tex-Mex meal is simple enough for a weeknight and impressive enough for company. Super flavorful clean eating at its best!
For Tex-Mex Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves (.5oz) garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons (¼ bunch – .6oz) chopped cilantro
- 1 small (1oz) hot peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 small (2.5oz) roasted peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup (1-2, 1oz) chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For Mexican Cauliflower Rice:
- 1 small head (1lb) cauliflower – cut into large florets
- 3 tablespoons (1.5oz) butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 2 large (10.8oz) onions, diced
- 2 cloves (.6oz) garlic, minced
- 1 medium (6oz) tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons (.5oz) fresh chopped cilantro, optional
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- For Tex-Mex Meatballs: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, add beef, eggs, garlic, cilantro, hot peppers (if using), roasted peppers, scallions, almond flour, salt, garlic granules and cumin. Use hands to mix well.
- Using palm of hand, roll 8 regular-size balls (or use a small cookie scoop to make minis).
- Place onto a rimmed baking sheet, leaving room in between. Bake for 23-25 minutes (for regular size) and 16-18 minutes (for minis). Meatballs will release fat – use a spatula to loosen and lift away from pan.
- For Mexican Cauliflower Rice: Use a food processor with the fine shredding disc (or the S blade). Turn food processor on and begin adding cauliflower pieces; run until all florets have been processed. If necessary, empty the bowl and continue the process. Alternatively, you can use a box grater.
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat, melt butter. Once butter starts to sizzle, add onions; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes – onions should be translucent.
- Add garlic, tomato, chili powder and salt; stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice; cook for 3-5 minutes; stir to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat; add cilantro (if using) and stir.
Quick Tips: These meatballs not only make for a good meal but make for a healthy snack as well – a much better choice than chips or cookies. Totally freezer-friendly, so make a double batch and store. Feel free to swap beef for chicken or turkey – just as delicious.
Cauliflower rice will last 3-4 days in the fridge so make a big batch and use it throughout the week as a side for dinner or breakfast. You can freeze cauli-rice as well. Just bag, flatten and freeze. When ready to use, toss into a bowl in fridge to defrost. Then, follow steps 2-5 above. Let’s talk thyme – it can be a pain as the leaves need to be removed from those little stems. Fresh is definitely worth it when it comes to recipes like this, however, for roasting and soups, dry is just fine.
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars