- 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 7 ounces Hillshire Farm® Polska Kielbasa Sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/3 cup shallot, diced small
- 1/3 cup celery, diced small
- 1/3 cup carrot, diced small
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, diced small
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 orange, zested, then cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish Manzanilla olives, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a bowl, toss chicken and sausage with oregano and paprika. Set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over moderate heat. Add shallot, celery, carrot and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add rice and stir well to coat. Gradually add in chicken stock, stirring constantly. Add bay leaf, lower the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is almost fully absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the seasoned chicken and sausage to the skillet along with orange zest and olives and stir well to combine. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked, about 10 minutes. (Note: you may need to scrape the bottom of the pan with your spoon occasionally to make sure the rice doesn’t stick. If it’s sticking too much, lower the heat a bit and continue cooking).
- Take skillet off the heat, carefully remove bay leaf and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve, garnishing with orange wedges if desired.
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars