Fragrant rosemary enhances the flavor of this deliciously addictive one-skillet meal. Simple enough for a weeknight & impressive enough for dinner guests!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- One pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2 inch lengths
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine (or water)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, torn or roughly chopped right before using
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet with tight fitting lid over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, garlic and salt and cook till soft, about five minutes. Add rosemary and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. And lamb and cook until browned throughout, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon or spatula as you go, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess fat from pan.
- Sprinkle noodle pieces evenly over meat. Pour diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and wine (or water) on top. Without stirring, cover the skillet with the lid and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in Parmesan and season to taste with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Dot heaping tablespoons of ricotta over the pasta and place the lid back on the skillet. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with freshly torn mint leaves and serve with extra grated Parmesan on the side. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cooks Illustrated
Keywords: skillet meal, one pan, lamb lasagna