Crusty bread is slathered with Parmesan and herb roasted garlic butter then stuffed with Gruyère cheese. After a trip to the oven, the results are ooey, gooey and delicously messy.
As if I needed an excuse to make a dish containing garlic, my friend Heather over at girlichef invited me to be part of her National Garlic Day 2015 festivities. I sometimes joke that I married an Italian so I’d have an excuse to cook with garlic more often. What can I say – I love the “stinking rose”, and April 19th is no exception!
I’m not gonna lie – this bread is messy to make. Getting the butter and cheese into all of those nooks and crannies isn’t a quick and easy task. But trust me, your efforts will be rewarded with some seriously amazing, garlicky, cheesy goodness.
The loaf of bread I used wasn’t super firm, so we ended up diving in with forks. I think that something like a sourdough would hold up a little better if you want to be able to pull it apart with your fingers.
My husband looked seriously confused when he saw me making a giant mess with this in the kitchen, but one bite and he was in pure garlic heaven. I served this with Iron Skillet Chicken + Carrots with Toasted Lager Mustard Sauce and it was a delicious, comforting meal.
Craving more? Check out these garlicky recipes from this year’s National Garlic Day bloggers:
- Black Garlic Chocolate Cake from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic from My Catholic Kitchen
- Epic Garlic Bread from Shockingly Delicious
- Garlic and White Bean Hummus from Kelli’s Kitchen
- Garlic Lovers Focaccia with Shallots and Sweet Corn from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Garlic-Parmesan Chicken Stuffed Shells for Two from The Spiffy Cookie
- Garlicky Chard Stuffed Flank Steak from girlichef
- Garlicky Lobster Crab Scampi from Food Lust People Love
- Garlicky Rib Eye Steak with Garlic Bruschetta from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- IPA Pickles from NY Foodgasm
- Lebanese Garlic Sauce from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Louisiana Garlic Bread from Wishes and Dishes
- Ricotta, Garlic and Mushroom Flatbread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Hummus from From Gate to Plate
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Garlic Gruyère Pull-Apart Bread from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
- Spicy Garlic Noodles with Pork from Healthy Delicious