Comfort food at its best – simple, succulent chicken with crispy skin and a delicious mix of roasted vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and smashed
- 5 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound), diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
- 1 white onion, diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
- 1 turnip, diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound parsnips, diced into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch pieces
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 whole (5-6 pound) chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Make Vinaigrette: In a large bowl, place Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisk to combine, and slowly stream in oil, whisking continuously until emulsified.
- Add all of the vegetables to the bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Pour into the bottom of a large roasting pan. Scatter thyme sprigs over top.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Generously salt and pepper the entire chicken – both outside and in the cavity. Truss the chicken and place on top of the vegetables in the roasting pan.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and let the chicken and vegetables roast for about an hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F and the juices run clear. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes.
- Carve chicken and serve on top of roasted veggies, seasoning with a little more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli