Vibrant pasta made from red lentils brings a boost of protein and fiber to this scrumptious, salty-sweet bowl of comfort food.
- 1 package (10 oz.) Pasta Lensi Red Lentil Fusilli
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, partially cook the pasta for 7 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in an extra-large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the olive oil and squash to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, for about 7 minutes. Add garlic and sage to skillet and sauté 1 minute. Add spinach and sauté, stirring, until it wilts down, about 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add the partially cooked pasta and 2 cups of the reserved pasta cooking water. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until the pasta and squash are cooked, about 5 minutes, adding additional pasta cooking water if needed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in parsley and cream. Season generously with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- To serve, place pasta in a large serving platter (or divide between 4 bowls), sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and crumble bacon over top. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Recipe adapted from Pasta Lensi
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars