This is unlike any other dip we’ve had – it’s nice and garlicky, and the richness that the pomegranate molasses adds is really wonderful.
- 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped fine
- 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- Crumbled feta, for garnish (omit to keep this vegan)
- Pita triangles as an accompaniment
- In a food processor blend together the peppers, bread crumbs, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin and red pepper flakes until the mixture is smooth. With the motor running, add the oil gradually until it reaches a consistency that you like (you may use slightly more or less than 3/4 cup). Transfer to a bowl, drizzle with a little more olive oil and sprinkle on some feta. Serve at room temperature with pita triangles for dipping.
Recipe adapted from Gourmet December 1993