Sun-dried tomatoes and spinach flavor these 2 quiches – one to share and one for your mini sous chef. Perfect for Easter brunch!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling the dough (I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 3–6 tablespoons very cold water (I put an ice cube in a small bowl of cold water to keep it well chilled)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more for top.
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used whole)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup dried sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
- 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (I used a goat milk variety)
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- For crust: In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening thoroughly with a pastry cutter or fork. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time and stir together until all of the flour is moistened and dough can be gathered into a ball. Form 2/3 of the dough into a large, flattened round and the remaining 1/3 into a smaller, flattened round.
- Sprinkle a light layer of flour on a large, clean work surface. Using a floured rolling pin, roll the large round of dough until the it’s about 2 inches larger than your pie plate. Lightly fold the dough into quarters and transfer it to the pie plate. Unfold the dough and ease it into the pan and crimp the edges as desired, trimming off any excess dough. Prick the bottom of the pie shell several times with a fork. Repeat this process with the smaller round of dough to form the smaller pie.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the 2 unbaked pie crusts side-by-side on a large, rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- For filling: Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over moderate heat. Add garlic and shallot and sauté until fragrant and starting to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach wilts down. Remove from heat.
- While the spinach cools, beat eggs and milk in a large bowl. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Place 2/3 of the spinach mixture on the bottom of the large pie crust, spreading it out into an even layer. Place remaining 1/3 on the small crust. Sprinkle sun-dried tomatoes over top. Gently pour egg mixture on top, add a little more cracked black pepper on top of each and bake for 45-50 minutes, until eggs are set. Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes before slicing.
- For salad: In a medium bowl, toss together chickpeas, cucumbers, oil, vinegar, dill, parsley and feta. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve slices of quiche with salad alongside.
Makes 1 (9.5-inch) and 1 (5-inch) quiche
Keywords: quiche, spinach, eggs