A flavorful shrimp boil and homemade cocktail sauce bring this Beetlejuice-inspired appetizer to life! Perfect for dinner parties and Halloween festivities!
For the Shrimp:
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 small white onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
For the Cocktail Sauce:
- For the Shrimp: Place the lemon, peppercorns, bay leaf, onion and garlic in a large stock pot and fill with water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Add shrimp to the water and cook until pink and slightly firm, about 3 minutes. Plunge the shrimp into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain shrimp and chill until ready to use.
- For the Cocktail Sauce: Combine ketchup, horseradish, lemon zest and juice, Worcestershire and hot sauce in a bowl Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, arrange shrimp on a serving platter. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the shrimp and serve with extra lemon wedges and cocktail sauce for dipping. To make it more Beetlejuice-esque, pour a little cocktail sauce into a martini glass and line the rim of the glass with shrimp and lemon wedges.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 21.5 g
- Sodium: 989.7 mg
- Fat: 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 23.3 g
- Cholesterol: 182.5 mg
Keywords: shrimp, shrimp cocktail, horseradish