Nothing beats a hearty bowl of homemade chicken soup. This one utilizes the Instant Pot for all day flavor in less than an hour!
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons salt-free garlic-and-herb seasoning blend (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons Penzeys Bavarian Seasoning + 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large)
- 1 cup sliced carrot (about 2 large)
- 1 cup sliced celery (about 2 large stalks)
- 12 ounces baby potatoes
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 2 cups coarsely chopped baby spinach
- Set Instant Pot to “Sauté” and adjust to “Normal”. Once its hot, add bacon and cook until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon to a plate and set aside, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoning blend. Add chicken to bacon drippings in Instant Pot and cook 8 minutes, browning on all sides. Transfer chicken to the plate with the bacon, reserving any drippings in the Instant Pot. Add leek, carrot, and celery to drippings and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup stock, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Add chicken, bacon, potatoes, remaining 3 cups stock, salt, pepper, and thyme sprigs.
- Close the lid set it to high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before manually releasing the remaining pressure and carefully opening the lid.
- Remove thyme sprigs and shred the chicken right in the Instant Pot. Add spinach, stirring until spinach wilts down into the soup.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light – October 2016
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars