- For Instant Pot: core and cut apples into 2-inch chunks. For slow cooker: core and thinly slice apples.
- Add apples and water to the insert of your Instant Pot or slow cooker. Add cinnamon sticks and sprinkle nutmeg on top. Add whole cloves, black peppercorns, star anise, cardamom pod, and orange zest to a sachet (see notes in post above) for easy retrieval.
- For Instant Pot: cook on high pressure for 12 minutes, then do a quick release. For slow cooker: cook on high until apples are soft, about 4 to 5 hours.
- Once apples are cooked, remove cinnamon sticks and sachet from your Instant Pot or slow cooker insert. Purée apples to your desired consistency. You can do this with a blender, immersion blender, or food processor for smooth applesauce, or use a potato masher or whisk vigorously if you prefer chunky-style applesauce.
- Store applesauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Can also be frozen.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 63
- Sugar: 11.6 g
- Sodium: 3.1 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.7 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 0.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: fall recipe, mulling spices, no sugar added applesauce