It’s National Ice Cream Day! Let’s celebrate with dark chocolate coated vanilla ice cream bars topped with a double dose of coconutty goodness.
For Maple Cinnamon Toasted Coconut Chips:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For Whipped Coconut Cream:
- 1 can full fat cream of coconut (not coconut milk), refrigerated overnight
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 packages DOVEBAR Vanilla Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate (6 bars total)
- Toast coconut chips: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, add coconut chips, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Toss well to coat thoroughly. Spread coated coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet that has been lined with a silicone nonstick baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake coconut in preheated oven until well toasted, stirring every 5 minutes to ensure even browning. (It took 12 minutes total in my oven). Remove toasted coconut to a bowl to cool while you prepare the whipped coconut cream.
- Whip coconut cream: Place a large bowl (preferably metal) in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Once chilled, open the can of refrigerated coconut cream. Without stirring or shaking, and spoon out the top, solidified portion and place it in the chilled bowl. About 3/4 of the can should be solidified. Reserve the liquid at the bottom of the can for another purpose.
- Beat coconut cream with an electric mixer until it starts to get smooth, about 30-60 seconds. Add in the powdered sugar in 3 batches, beating well after each incorporation. Continue to beat until it reaches soft peaks. At this point, the whipped coconut cream is ready to go, but you can also refrigerate it to get it to firm up a bit more if desired.
- To serve, place a large dollop of whipped coconut cream on top of each DOVEBAR, and sprinkle with maple cinnamon toasted coconut chips. Enjoy!
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli
- Serving Size: 6