Pie crusts are stuffed with rich, dark chocolate and baked until golden brown before being dunked in an orange-infused yogurt dip!
- 2 unbaked pie crusts, store bought or homemade
- 1 (3.5-ounce) bar dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I used Divine 70% Dark)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Raw sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Stonyfield Smooth & Creamy Lowfat)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out each pie crust to a 9- or 10-inch wide circle, flouring your work surface lightly as needed to prevent sticking. Place one of the crusts on a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 20-30 second intervals until fully melted, stirring between each interval. Let cool for a minute or 2, then pour it into the center of the pie crust that’s on your baking sheet. Using a spatula, gently spread the chocolate out into an even layer over the pie crust, leaving about a 1-inch border clear around the outside edge. Place the remaining pie crust directly on top of the chocolate covered one, pressing gently to adhere. Go around the outer edges and press again to seal.
- Flip a ramekin upside-down and press gently to make a circular indentation directly in the center of the top crust. Set the ramekin aside to hold your yogurt dip. Using a pizza cutter or butter knife, start at the edge of the indentation and cut in a straight line all the way to the edge of the pie crust. Repeat in 1- to 2-inch increments, creating a sunburst pattern (see image in post above). Twist each section of chocolate-filled pie crust gently, making sure the outer edges end up laying down flat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush over the pinwheel, then sprinkle lightly with raw sugar while it’s still wet – it’s easiest to do this in 4-6 sections.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before taking it off of the baking sheet to serve.
- While the pinwheel is in the oven, whisk together dip ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 487
- Sugar: 11.9 g
- Sodium: 340.6 mg
- Fat: 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 33.3 mg
Keywords: dark chocolate, pastry twists, yogurt dip