These soft, chewy peanut butter cookies are a dessert recipe that my family has been baking for years. Easy to make with kids & guaranteed to be a hit!
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place peanut butter, shortening, dark and light brown sugars, milk, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add egg and beat until just blended.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda, and blend until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula to ensure no large pockets of dry ingredients remain.
- Place the granulated sugar in a small bowl that’s large enough to roll the cookie dough balls around to coat.
- Scoop dough using a #50 metal scoop (about 1 heaping tablespoon). Roll each dough ball gently in your hands to smooth, then place in the bowl of sugar and roll around to coat evenly. Place coated cookie dough balls onto an un-greased baking sheet, leaving a few inches in between each.
- Using the tines of a fork, lightly press down into the top of each cookie and then lift, rotate the fork 90 degrees, and press down again to form a cross-hatch pattern.
- Bake in preheated oven for 7-8 minutes. Let sit on the baking sheet for a minute or two before removing to wire racks too cool.
You can use 1 1/4 cups total of light OR dark brown sugar, but I like the flavor tha a mix of the two adds to the cookies.
The cookies are very soft, so they need to sit on the baking sheet for a minute or two before they’re transferred onto a cooling rack to prevent them from tearing apart. Because they’re so delicate, I like using a very thin metal spatula for transferring the cookies.
Keywords: peanut butter, cookie, dessert