An herb-packed marinade + flavorful dipping sauce boost the flavor of this reverse seared steak.
For the Chimichurri Spice Mix:
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
For the Marinade:
- 1/3 cup Chimichurri Spice Mix (recipe above)
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 pound London Broil
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
To Sear and Finish:
- 2 tablespoons peanut or sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Make the Chimichurri Spice Mix: Combine ingredients (dried oregano through coriander). I like to put them in a glass jar with a lid and shake them together to combine. You'll only need half of the spice blend for the London Broil recipe, so you'll have some leftover for another day.
- Make the Marinade: Place 1/3 cup Chimichurri Spice Mix in a large food storage container and pour hot water on top. Mix together and let soak for 5 minutes. Whisk in vinegar and oil, then add the London Broil, flipping it to coat it in the marinade. Cover the container and transfer to the refrigerator. Marinate for 6 hours, shaking the container or flipping the meat over halfway through if possible.
- Make the Sauce: Stir together ingredients (yogurt through white wine vinegar) in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook the Steak: Preheat oven to 275°F. Place a cooking rack on top of a baking sheet. Remove the London broil from the marinade and place on top of the cooking rack. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 129°F (this is for medium-rare, feel free to cook it for more/less time depending on your desired degree of doneness).
- Sear the Steak: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. When smoking hot, place the steak in the pan, topped with 1 tablespoon butter, and sear the steak for 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and let rest 10 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- Serve sliced steak with sauce alongside for dipping.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 756
- Sugar: 2.4 g
- Sodium: 1395 mg
- Fat: 61.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 16.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 40.2 g
- Cholesterol: 149.5 mg
Keywords: chimichurri, London broil, holiday meal, steak