Caramelized onions and ground sage add a major flavor boost to this lightened-up party food favorite spinach dip.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 ounces water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, around 40-50 minutes.
- When the onions are almost all golden, stir in sage, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and continue to cook until the onions are caramelized. Remove from heat.
- Drain the thawed spinach and squeeze out any excess water, either by pressing it in a sieve, or wrapping it in a kitchen towel and squeezing the water out. Place spinach, onions, water chestnuts, and yogurt in a medium bowl and stir well to combine. Cover and chill before serving.
Keywords: party food, spinach dip, caramelized onion