Gyro-style seasoned ground lamb is grilled and served with a rich, creamy tzatziki yogurt sauce.
- For Tzatziki:
- 1 quart plain yogurt (hung in a coffee filter lined strainer over a bowl for 24 hours)*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (almost to a paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 large cucumber, finely diced (skin and seeds removed)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
For Lamb Burger:
- 4 pounds pasture raised ground lamb
- 1/4 cup burger onions**
- 1 tablespoon garlic (finely chopped almost to a paste)
- 1 tablespoon dried Marjoram
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Pepper
- Burger bun
- Red onion
- For Tzatziki: Stir ingredients together and allow to sit for a least an hour for flavors to meld (even better overnight)
- For Lamb Burger: Mix ingredients thoroughly but gently. Form in to 6 oz patties. Season outside of burger with salt and pepper. Grill to medium rare.
- Lightly toast a bun with tallow or butter (or rendered lamb fat), place some tzatziki on the bottom bun, then the lamb burger, top with a little more tzatziki and garnish with match sticks of cucumber if you’re feeling fancy. Dress the top bun with good crunchy lettuce and red onion.
*Can substitute Greek yogurt and skip the straining step.
**Burger Onions for us are finely diced onions that are very slowly sautéed in oil with a pinch of salt to remove the liquid. They are beyond translucent but should be cooked slowly enough to not take on a ton of color. Putting raw onions in a burger mix results in the onion sweating while the burger cooks and steaming the inside of the burger and it will not hold together well and cook differently than you expect. Adding these onions gives you all the flavor of onion without those side effect. These can be made days ahead of time.
- Serving Size: 1 burger
- Calories: 563
- Sugar: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 614.1 mg
- Fat: 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.9 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 30.3 g
- Cholesterol: 110.7 mg
Keywords: lamb burger, tzatziki, cucumber, yogurt