Chef Matthew Nolot's tips: Don’t get too crazy trying to plate this dish, it should have a very approachable and rustic feel. No dots or foams or fluid gels here. Think family reunion with updated flavors!!
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of lime zest
- 1 ear fresh corn on the cob (shaved on a mandolin)
- 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 Duck egg
- 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Sugar and smoked sea salt for dusting
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries (cleaned and sliced in half)
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh basil
- Pinch of smoked sea salt
Buttered popcorn whipped cream:
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 sprig of fresh basil
- Corn/lime/ricotta biscuits: Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl until smooth.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry batch and stir with a rubber spatula until smooth.
- Portion batter into 8 individual biscuits on a lightly greased cookie pan.
- Sprinkle each biscuit with extra sugar and a small amount of smoked sea salt and bake at 375 degrees for 17-20 minutes until lightly browned and completely set.
- Strawberry-basil filling: Puree approximately a ½ pint of the strawberries along with ½ of the basil and the sugar until smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and fold in the rest of the ingredients.
- Buttered popcorn whipped cream: Pop popcorn in the butter, being careful not to burn.
- Add the heavy cream, sugar and basil to the pan with the popped corn.
- Bring to a simmer and turn off heat and allow too steep for about 20 minutes.
- Strain through fine sieve and chill cream completely.
- Whisk chilled cream to stiff peaks.
Recipe by Chef Matthew Nolot of Tolon
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 533
- Sugar: 41.1 g
- Sodium: 397.8 mg
- Fat: 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 17.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 62.7 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 7.8 g
- Cholesterol: 146.5 mg
Keywords: strawberry shortcake, basil, corn, whipped cream