Red wine deepens the flavors in both the burgers and jam in this Middle Eastern spin on Adam Richman’s Malbec Burger recipe.
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded then grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, cut into chiffonade
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For Pomegranate Tomato Jam:
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup Alamos Malbec
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated white onion (about 1/4 of a medium white onion)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Alamos Malbec
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Burger buns
- Sliced tomato
- For Mast-o-Khiar: In a medium bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, honey, mint and salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For Pomegranate Tomato Jam: In a small saucepan over moderate heat, combine tomatoes, Malbec, black pepper, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until thick and relatively uniform in consistency, mashing the bits of tomato into sauce as it reduces. Remove from heat and place in a nonreactive bowl to cool. When just above room temperature, stir in pomegranate molasses.
- For Burgers: In a large bowl, mix lamb, panko, grated onion, egg, parsley, celery, Malbec, green onion, cinnamon and cayenne thoroughly but gently. Form in to 4 equal sized patties. Season outside of each burger generously with salt and pepper. Grill to medium rare (or cook in a heavy skillet, preferably cast iron).
- Lightly toast the buns (either on the grill or cut side on a baking sheet in the oven). Place some Mast-o-Khiar on the bottom bun, then top with the lamb burger. Dress the top bun with some of the Pomegranate Tomato jam, sliced tomato, lettuce and red onion.
Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli