Coconut sugar and fresh citrus combine to make a luxuriously rich topping for these super tender scones.
For the Banana-Orange Curd:
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons butter flavored coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
For the Scones:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter flavored coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup whole milk, plus 1-2 tablespoons more for brushing the scones
- 1 tablespoon Barlean’s Flax, Chia & Coconut Seed Blend
- Make the Banana-Orange Curd: Place all ingredients (eggs through coconut sugar) in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. If the mixture starts to splatter, lower the heat to medium.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely before covering and storing in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Make the Scones: Preheat the oven to 400°F with an oven rack in the center position. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Scoop the chilled butter flavored coconut oil into the flour mixture (you may need to use a spoon to get it out in a few large chunks) and cut it into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, banana, and milk. Pour into to the flour mixture and stir until a sticky dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and knead gently until the dough just holds together, incorporating as much flour as needed to make it workable, about 6-8 times. Pat the dough into a 1-inch thick circle and cut into individual rounds with a 3-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place the scones about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of each scone with a thin layer of milk and sprinkle the tops with the seed blend.
- Bake in the preheated until crusty and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm or transfer to a metal rack to cool completely.
“Original Recipe by Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen – Ashley Covelli
Big Flavors Rating: 5 Stars”