Get a double dose of potatoes plus your daily greens in these baked dumplings that pair perfectly with a sweet-and-spicy dipping sauce.
- 2½ cups purple yams, peeled and diced small
- 3 cups Oriental sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated or minced
- 3 tablespoons shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cups choy sum leaves (or other leafy green), sliced
- Dumpling wrappers
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, plus a little extra for brushing over the dumplings
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated or minced
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 (13.66 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- Place yams and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan, covering them with cold water by a few inches. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, about 10-15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and shallots and sauté until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add choy sum leaves and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes. Add potatoes back in, stir to combine and set aside to cool slightly. Season to taste with salt.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Get a small bowl of water ready. Scoop a heaping teaspoon of the potato mixture into a dumpling wrapper. Dip a finger in the water and run it around the perimeter of the dumpling wrapper. Fold it in half and press the edges firmly to seal around the filling. Set on a baking sheet and repeat with remaining dumpling wrappers until you run out of wrappers or filling.
- Brush each dumpling with a little extra peanut oil, and bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the dumplings are baking, prepare the peanut sauce. Heat peanut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth and heated through.
- Serving Size: 3-4 dumplings