Classic shrimp and grits gets an upscale makeover in this over-the-top, bacon-wrapped presentation. Easy, delicious, and sure to impress your dinner guests!
- 1 package bacon (don't use thick cut here)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions (about 1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Small wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (18-ounce) tube polenta, sliced into 10 rounds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set an oven-proof baking rack on top. Place bacon in a single layer on top of the sheet and place it in the oven. Set the oven to 425 and let the bacon cook for 12-15 minutes, until the bacon starts to render some of its fat and gets a little bit of color around the edges. Remove from oven to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess fat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter, parsley, green onion and garlic. Take 3 tablespoons of this mixture and place it in a large bowl, then add shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and toss until well coated.
- Cut each piece of par-cooked bacon in half crosswise. Take each half piece, wrap it around a shrimp, secure with a soaked skewer, then place it back on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining shrimp, reserving any extra bacon on the side. Return to the oven and bake for until the shrimp is cooked through and the bacon is golden and crispy, about 10-15 minutes.
- While the shrimp are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and the remainder of the butter mixture in a large skillet (preferably nonstick) over moderate heat. Sprinkle each slice of polenta with a little paprika, salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Sauté until brown on both sides. Remove to a platter, and immediately top with a few tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Take any extra bacon and slice it, then fry it in the pan until golden and crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess grease, then scatter over the polenta.
- Serve bacon-wrapped shrimp on top of fried polenta rounds with extra Parmesan, green onion, and parsley scattered over top if desired.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 754
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 972.3 mg
- Fat: 63.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 23.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.8 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 38.2 g
- Cholesterol: 288.3 mg
Keywords: shrimp, polenta, bacon, bacon wrapped shrimp