For me, margaritas bring forth thoughts of warm summer weather and good times with friends. And those are all things that I could use more of lately!
So when I was asked to join a group of bloggers in celebrating National Margarita Day, I headed over to the liquor cabinet to get geared up.
There are all sorts of fun flavors of margaritas out there, but I thought it would be fun to do something really different.
Something that would
give you an excuse to consume tequila before 9am work as breakfast or dessert. Or both. We’re in a judgement free zone here.
These donuts have lime zest running through them, and they’re glazed with a tequila and orange liqueur-laced icing.
They’re also baked instead of fried, and are made with half whole wheat flour, so they’re essentially health food. Breakfast of champions, without a doubt.
I like my margaritas on the rocks with a salted rim, so I decided to give each of these donuts a “salted rim” by sprinkling a pinch of sea salt on top of the glaze before it set. My husband loved that addition. What can I say, the tequila inspired me.
Be sure not to over-mix your donut batter or they’ll be tough and you’ll end up needing a shot of tequila to wash them down. Now that would be a shame, wouldn’t it? 😉
Check out what everyone else contributed to this holiday celebration in the roundup after my recipe below. Cheers!
Need more margarita action? Check out the roundup below to see what the other National Margarita Day participants came up with. I’d like to think of it as a to-do list of sorts. Bottoms up!!
- Blackberry Margarita from Cooking for My Peace of Mind
- Chili Lime Margarita from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chocolate Margaritas from The Texan New Yorker
- Creamsicle Margaritas from Savvy Eats
- Frozen Mango Margarita from Noshing with the Nolands
- Lilikoi Margarita with Li Hung Mui from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Margaritas Gone Wild from Delaware Girl Eats
- Mixed Berry Margarita from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Mom’s Wicked Margarita from Desserts Required
- Pomegranate Margarita from Daily Dish Recipes
- Spicy Raspberry Frozen Margarita from The Weekend Gourmet
- Tamarind Margaritas from girlichef
- The Great Grapefruit Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Tim G’s Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Baked Margarita Chicken Wings from Healthy. Delicious.
- Chambord Margarita Macarons from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Margarita Cake with Sugar Cookie Crust from Gotta Get Baked
- Margarita Cheesecake Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Margarita Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Margarita Donuts from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
- Margarita Mousse from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Margarita Shrimp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Margarita Shrimp Tacos from Supper for a Steal
- Strawberry Margarita Sweet Rolls from The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Top Shelf (Margarita) Truffles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla